Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Need for Speed

Saturday yielded a trip to the McChord Air Expo. The demonstrations aroused a long ago forgotten career track: USAF fighter pilot.

Consider a few facts about me from the 80's:
1. Favorite movie: Top Gun (followed by Iron Eagle)
2. Most wished for toy: Radio controlled airplane
3. Favorite career day: Astronaut (advantage of living next to Johnson Space Center and Ellington Field)
4. Favorite model rocket: SR-71 - that's right, not even a rocket
So what happened 20 years ago? Glasses. Nipped my 8 year old dream in the bud. Since rumor has it that the Air Force accepts candidates with surgically corrected vision, I went to go look for an Air Force recruiter. Alas, all I could find were droves of their Army counterparts.

Fortunately, my present employer need not worry too much. By end of day, the dream had receded from active desire back down to latent fantasy.

More photos Link

No comments: