Sunday, April 25, 2010

first tummy ache

ah, that landmark parenting experience. it'll happen to us all. likely more than once.

sunday, early morning, 3 a.m. summer knocks quietly on her door. i open it, and without turning on the lights, i know. she informs me that she has made a mess.

indeed. the sheets need to be washed, the comforter, the mattress pad, the carpets, summer, her pajamas, and a few of her toys. all a mess.

bryan and i get to work showering and laundering, only to discover this was not an isolated incident.

so i spend the rest of the night lying on the bathroom floor next to summer, holding the bucket for her little head every half hour.

(summer HATES "the bucket." she falsely accuses it of making her vomit).

the silver lining is that seeing my baby sick invokes the mommy super powers: messes don't bother me, and the need for sleep vanishes. it'll catch up with me by tonight, i'm sure, but right now, my heart breaks when i hear summer retching and crying, "i don't like it!"

no, dear summer, no one does. :(


2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh man!! I guess I knew this happens a lot but always excluded myself from it. But you just made me realize it is coming - and any day now. Good mommy skills btw. Poor Summer. But if I know Emily Wheeler - that house has no trace of anyone ever being sick and probably smells like spring blossoms... and lysol.

Holly said...

Summer is lucky you are a super hero. A vomiting toddler--not much is harder. I hope she feels better soon.

Funny aside: since Aubrey's last stomach flu, she thinks she always needs a bowl to sleep. She now sleeps with a red mixing bowl every night.