Monday, November 09, 2009

loves me, loves me not

so for those of you who may be unawares, bryan and i have quite a unique love story. in fact, it’s so unique that i think taylor swift may be penning something about it at this very moment…

anyway, as i was going through the garage this weekend, i happed upon a box of old journals. now, i may not be on top of a lot of things in life, but i have always managed to diligently (and dramatically) record my personal history. that way, when we all sit down to “remember” things, we have a source (a *neutral* source).

so last night, bryan and i very much enjoyed reading through some of the things i had written about him – things he was hearing for the first time. and then, of course, we thought our readership at large might also like to take a trip down memory lane. so here are a few of our favorite excerpts from the stage in our relationship i refer to as “round one”:

**NOTE: bryan is also widely known as “danger” in fact, i didn’t even find out bryan was his real name until maybe after we were married..)

unsurprisingly, these are the first words i wrote about my dearest husband-to-be:

September 23, 2001
“Danger is a jerk.”

followed two months later by further elucidation:

November 25, 2001
“Danger talked to me a lot about his dating philosophies. Psycho dating philosophies. He made it seem like he was only looking for the epitome of perfection and no one could even come close…I was disturbed.”

**NOTE: for the record, bryan was reading an article aloud to me the other day, and he had no idea how to correctly pronounce the word “epitome.” not so perfect now, huh?

and then the culmination of my frustration:

December 12, 2001
“I still like Danger. Very much. But I feel complicated. I went to his circuits class on Tuesday and then to a movie with Owen’s friends. I sat by [Danger]. Did a little more flirting. But he’s not responsive in situations like that. Liking Danger is the stupidest thing I’ve ever done. He’s crazy. He’s emotionally unavailable, uninvolved or uninterested in dating…or maybe in girls altogether. And if he was [interested in girls],I just get the impression that it wouldn’t be me. Which is giving me some self-esteem issues. I feel belittled. I can’t believe I’m belittled by the mere act of liking someone. Only Danger could do that to me.”

how we ever ended up happily hitched (in april 2004) and the parents of two beautiful baby girls…

well, i suppose only jane austen truly knows.

4 comments:

Rock said...

I love it! Of course, I wouldn't have expected any less from you two ...

Susanne said...

Too funny! We're all glad that it worked out so beautifully in the end. *hugs*

Heidi Henderson said...

That cracks me up... the whole "Danger" name. HOw did he even get that name! Journals are the best! thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

that is awesome. i love reading old journals and remembering all the angst. you are so funny. i remember the first night we came to your house. you made homemade fajitas and bananas foster for dessert (that isn't part of the memory i was going to share- maybe i'm just hungry) but anyway, you guys told us about your dating story and i've never been so fascinated in my life. we agreed as we left that you guys were quite the interesting couple and you left us wanting more, more, more. so - you are posting more journal entries right? .... i mean, right?