Sunday, December 11, 2011

Postcard from the Enchantments

When we first started blogging in 2006, Emily and I committed to posting on an equal basis. It didn't take long to realize who had the lion's share of blogging talent (well, talent in general), and it wasn't me. Flash forward to 2011:  my official blogging quota is a dismal once per quarter.  This year so far, I've only made three posts (to Emily's 160), so I'll polish off my annual commitment with a flashback to my final hiking adventure of the summer with Emily's brother, Owen.

Late in the season, I scored some reservations for the Enchantments. For the uninitiated, the Enchantments are one of North America's most spectacular backpacking destinations where overnight access is strictly rationed via a permit lottery held every year in February. Although I missed the lottery in February, I was perusing the Forest Services' web site one night in August and snatched an permit that had just become available.

Despite all the hype I had read before going, the Enchantments exceeded my expectations in every way but one: we didn't encounter any goats. Enjoy the photos.





Looking up Aasgard pass. We descended about 2000 feet in 3/4 mile


My hand-sewn tarp shelter

 
Swimming in near freezing Colchuck lake



No comments: