Sunday, September 13, 2009

mall rat

follow this (familiar?) scenario with me, if you will:

so it’s just me and the two girls off to the mall to run a few errands. daunting, perhaps, but i’m convinced of my abilities – the trip is going to be 40 minutes, tops.

surprisingly, things go well. we quickly run our errands, and summer even gets a balloon from nordstrom shoes. we’re on our way out the door: afton is sleeping soundly, and summer is happily prancing along. i feel a sigh of relief and a measure of confidence.



then

it

happens.

summer spots a table and chairs at which she wants to sit. i tell her not today, it’s time to go home, and all hell breaks loose.

can you see me?

i’ve got afton strapped to my front in a baby carrier, my diaper bag slung over one shoulder, and two or three shopping bags in my other hand. summer is on the floor, screaming her head off, kicking her feet, and spinning in circles. it takes mustering up all my motherly feelings (which are at this point, way, way deep down inside) to keep from doing one of the two things that first come to mind: 1) burst in to tears and throw myself on the ground right along with her or 2) just keep walking out the door; i’m sure someone nice will be along soon who can tend to her needs.

instead, after several minutes of unsuccessful coaxing (did i mention that by this time afton is awake and crying, too?), i’m forced to pick summer up *as well,* and carry her kicking and screaming to the car.

and then i burst in to tears.

thus, i'm reminded of why i do most of my shopping via the internet.

thank you, al gore.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Oh Emily! I feel for you! My kids do that same stuff sometimes. I have started having "Come to Jesus" meetings before we go into the store (or anywhere for that matter). They start at home and extend until we get right inside the store.
-Me: Are we going to cry?
-them: No.
-Me: are we going to fight?
-them: No.
-Me: what happens if you do?
-them: we get (1) spanked (never happens-the threat is enough), (2) yanked out of the store right then and there and get to sit in the car, (3) grounded from ------ *insert favorite item* or (4) all of the above. It seems to have worked and we can tolerate short trips to the store.
Good luck! Find what works for you!